Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Wednesday, August 10, 77 S.A.

currents

We arrived in New Bombay on-schedule. First thing off-board was the domestic task of getting haircuts (something only rich bootleggers can afford) before Caban went to get in touch with his contact. A man named Zacharias. He is a gaunt, craggy-faced man with the almond skin and dark eyes of a desert man. And a good reputation, he has quite the operation set up here. Siphoning Fed and Corporate water tanks and spreading it around, selling to Runners who will ship it to local distributors instead of over-priced companies. The rewards on his head don't level up to the level of respect he has in the sector, its men like him who keep this universe in order.

A day after setting foot here we have a hold full of water, and it only took us one gunfight to get it.

The water will, in the right market, fetch us more than the hold full of alcohol did. Its considerably more legal, too, less risky. Water is scarce on so many of the places we've decided we want to go but won't bother to terraform. Men work in bone-dry silver mines for a ration of musty water and a lungful of corrosive asteroid dust. You charge too much for water, some places, and the locals don't let you get out safe. They're not nearly as lenient as Feds tend to be, which is saying something.

We've spent the rest of the day out in the city. I like New Bombay, it is big and as old as anything else out here. Its started to lose its heap-town feel, more families and schools than mining depots now. Even a few tourist attractions. I've always enjoyed the bustling energy of the place, the swirl of people and thoughts and chance of contact or information.
While Caban went on the rounds to get news of Oberon I hacked into Govweb and took a look around, then picked up some supplies for the ship. Caban refuses to worry that he hasn't heard from his first mate in some time, as Oberons com system went out months ago. But she hasn't left a trail for him to follow. He knows what I'm thinking, that she has left him drifting, but I don't say it. He handed me a pocketful of coin and said "We're doing fine."
I restocked a bit, even found some 'ponic fruit, exchanged the Fed guns we recovered yesterday to replace our ammunition. Caban's not back yet, so I am seriously considering accidentally breaking a water barrel and having myself a bath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home