Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Wednesday, September 28, 77 S.A.

Efficiency

Point Hadrian to Target City is the longest haul we've done on Oberon, but its a good jump if you've done it before. Caban didn't believe the route plan I gave him, but grinned when Ice nodded her acceptance of it. We appreciate each other's work. I'll be staying awake tomorrow night to jump, but in the long Run it will save time.

Take a moment, Scout, to examine the phrase "save time". It is completely nonsensical--you can't squeeze minutes together here and there and spend them out later. Time isn't coin, you may steal it or waste it but it can never change hands, and it can never change form. The clocks we've made keep pressing on, and even without numerical display we cannot deny the wear on our bones.
Things happen no matter what we do, if I sat back and let us drift through the night, we'd get to Target City eventually. We'd miss our contact, have to make another, would never know what might have happened if we had been there "on time." So I have chosen to push on, take the fast jump and see where it gets me. My grandmother used to say that I was too curious to sit still. "You just always have to see!" she'd exclaim as I clambered up and over, or devoured the lessons she'd prepared. A smart woman, my grandmother.

Maybe this Log is a waste of time, or perhaps energy. The way I speak and write...too deliberate for these pushy times. Maybe this ship, this job, this life...maybe its all a waste of time. But what else would I be doing?

I tell myself I don't fly alone because it is inefficient. It is hard to make deals with no backup, foolish to load cargo by myself. Having someone in the engine room while you're at the helm...no matter how fast you go you can never be two places at once. Sometimes I think my mind can be, sometimes it has been, but it would never be enough.

Its also terribly inefficient to go insane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home