Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Friday, March 10, 77 S.A.

Snap

All this time, I’ve been so concerned about the others endangering the crew, and here I am the one who has done it most of all. I’ve quite neatly redesigned the same ship systems I’ve so ardently defended…a sabotage yet undiscovered, but a betrayal that I hear humming in the wires. And now I’ve come close to ruining our next job, the heist we’ve been hired for in Target City.
I snapped, and it was nearly the sound of Kon shutting the door on all of us, or worse yet of him delivering bullets into each of our skulls (except probably Ice’s) before doing so. It is perhaps only by Caban’s good graces that we are not a man short on this crew I claim to protect so well.
If only I could say it was an accident, that I temporarily lost control, but I will not lie. It was a choice I made as certainly as I’ve made any other. Above the dinner-time din of the Sneak’s burbles and Caban’s laughter, Kon managed to look at me and simply crossed the line one too many times. As my brain comprehended the vulgar, barely intelligible suggestion, I leaned over and promptly broke his finger.

Moments plunged headlong into oblivion…Em hastily clattered beneath her chair, Caban stared, Ice started and lit up briefly before she glared, and Kon quickly refocused from pain to rage. I excused myself from the table.

The ship is calmer now, I’ve taken to avoiding Kon and most others for the time being. Caban has run over the logistics of the new heist with me several times, but has not been able to keep the wary look from his eyes long enough to assure me of forgiveness. Perhaps I deserve none. I am, as ever, unrepentant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home