Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Thursday, August 11, 77 S.A.

commitment

A definite lead sends us to Verisan. Caban rubbed his face and said "I should have known." We'll drop the water afterwards, hopefully, somewhere in that system. I just hope we can catch up, or at very least abandon the chase. Chasing strangers with a faster ship is not my idea of a profitable venture. And Roller is not so uncomfortable as I first supposed. Maybe I'm getting attached. After all, I did draw gun with Caban for the first time.

We had only just sealed the deal with Zacharias when the front door burst in to reveal several armed deputies intent on a bust. We all dove beneath the nearest cover, everyone shouting furiously. Someone opened fire and suddenly it was a gunfight. Caban's face was a wash of excitement, I should have known he was a gleeful fighter. It was all fine until they brought out a Pulse gun. I hate Pulse guns. They can shatter bones at close range, usually used to take out legs to prevent escape. However, they also tend to bust up a person's insides for a lot of untreatable internal bleeding. So we decided perhaps it might be best to get on out of there. We made a dash for the back door, which was unguarded (stupid local Feds), and made it several blocks away before Caban decided we needed to go back. "A deal is a deal," he said, "and I want that cargo."
"There isn't a cargo worth dying for." I replied. Unless its a cargo of human babies, maybe. But, the good captain is a stubborn old ruster, and before long we were closing in on the deputies from behind. They were still pinned down at the door, the contacts were holding their own. We got so close behind them we could hear their coms blaring info. We shot four of them right away, three spotted Caban who ran off into the city. That left two, who of course figured out my position and started sending Pulses my way while comming for backup. I couldn't do much of anything, and was about to fire back when I saw a figure appear at the doorway. It was Zacharias, he took out both deputies while their backs were turned. A kick to the head and a bullet for the other. The crew came behind him, one bleeding freely from the belly, so we were quick in sealing the deal and splitting the Fed's guns between us. Zacharias, I think, is a good man to have on our side.

But that left me wondering where Caban had gotten to. I took a comlink from a fallen deputy. Backup was coming soon, suspect on foot was seen heading for the docks at road 41. Caban and I agreed to meet up later, but if he didn't show I was to take the cargo and have our business done. As I threw the com tracer in the gutter I realized that I didn't want to take Roller myself. Flying solo is inefficient, I tell myself, but I know the truth. Shake the man for being likeable.
The com crackled again. Suspect on foot inside construction building at corner of road 43. Backup in six minutes. I could make it there before then.
The deputies were inside when I got there, I caught up with a lawwoman on the second floor, she didn't know I was there until I had sent her sprawling. Her com buzzed on and I replied, letting the others think their comrade was still up. Then I heard a shuffle in front of me, Caban's gun and face appeared from a shadowy corner. My gun was on him before I recognized his grin.
On our way out I left the com on the ground and gave the Captain a collection of guns from my belt. I realized that his hands were stained red. Had he been hit, was that why he had gone to ground? He smiled at the shock I must have shown and pointed to his knee, where a bloody scrape showed through a tear in his pants.
"Fell down and lost my lead. Just glad to recognize your voice, though I was a bit shook to hear it so close."
"Just glad I recognized you before I shot you too."
"Well. You didn't follow orders, anyway."
He was right, but I didn't care. As we made our innocent civilian way to the docks, Caban gripped my arm suddenly and said "Thanks for breaking holster with me, Scout."

What else are friends for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home