Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Wednesday, November 2, 77 S.A.

transitions

Just when I had realized how comfortable I am, things up and change again.

We hired an extra hand today. Tomorrow we’re making our contact and picking up our water generator. We've stashed a few miscellaneous crates and cases (the contents of atleast one proved hilarious until the headaches the next morning. Unprofessional, but entertaining once in a while). As long as we’re smuggling ourselves we might as well bring in as much illegal and profitable material as we can. That being the Runner way. And furthermore, I can’t imagine us going anywhere near Hadrian’s Point for some time after this.

I found Caban in a dockside bar already talking to the man. He is burly, space-pale, and muscular, his dark hair and beard speckled with grey. An older man, then, experienced. He gruffly introduced himself as Kon, a Runner’s short nickname, taken up to hide from a criminal record. Most of us are.
He seems competent and clean, claims to be good with weapons, and with nothing tailing him. He’s also desperate for a job, and signed on for the ride to the Point and back. A profitable hire for him, if all goes well. I knew that Caban was going to hire him, but before he offered, he looked over at me and waited for my nod. I got a decent feeling from Kon, and an even better one from the consideration that Caban gives me. We’re partners.

I’ve done my research, turns out that 'Kon' is in fact Conrad Grussing, ex-military gunman. Dishonorable discharge, later charges of theft, illegal transport, assault, and resisting arrest. Nothing unusual..if I had a record it would be the same.

The ship is different, now. Not as quiet, nor as cozy. A strange presence, a vague awkwardness. Caban accepts it all usual, his only reaction is to squeeze my shoulder and grin as usual. It was odd to hear the rumble of two male voices as I climbed down from the catwalks, odd to feel other eyes on me as I slip about the ship. But Conrad doesn’t seem a bad sort, well enough for a short-time hire. He’s grizzled and tough and as soon as he becomes comfortable with us he’ll even become boisterous, I can tell.

Only one thing gives me pause...tonight at dinner, he winked at me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home