Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Thursday, April 6, 77 S.A.

piecing together

There isn't much else to do but sit here, waiting to sleep or feel better. When the others are off doing ship business, I write in this log.

Caban came in with a young man I didn’t recognize. He put his hand on my arm, one of the only places on me that does not hurt. Caban's face bore the marks of healing scrapes, and worry fluttered up inside me. He smiled at me, reassuringly, and introduced me the ship’s new doctor. The man who saved my life, it seems.
He left us alone, me and this stranger who had suddenly found a place in our home. He smiled at me too, more nervously, and turned his attention to the medical supplies in his hand. He has a narrow face, sharp, with small eyes. Brown hair, olive skin, a light frame. It was almost embarrassing, this meeting, as he had been looking at me, inside and out, for days. Did he know what I would be like, did he even wonder? Did his imagination match up with what he would discover?
“What happened?” I asked, finally. He looked at me, and the intensity of his gaze was surprising.
“I live in Paquin. A passerby, the type you pay no mind to. Didn’t know that your folk were making a deal right there on the street, even when the fighting started.”
As he spoke I recalled the deal, the words exchanged turning quickly to drawn guns. Words change easily to bullets.
“I didn’t even see the guns, at first, but I heard them. People started screaming and shouting, trying to get out of the way. It took me a moment to see who was shooting, I saw a woman sort of leaping up, pushing a man out of the way, pushing him over. Pulse blasts dusted into the wall behind them, and she dragged him down and didn’t get up. He struggled free of her, and then there was another man and woman…that would be Kon and Ice, I ‘spose…standing over them shooting out at the other people, they hit the man with the pulse gun. When I saw that she…well, you…when I saw you didn’t get up I just ran over, don’t know what I was thinking. I’m a doctor, you know…I had to help. Didn’t know that you part of it, just thought…you’d been hit, needed help. So I helped to grab you and we ran for it, I just followed along and didn’t even realize we were shipboard.”

I didn’t know what to say to that story. So strange to hear it from another perspective, like I wasn’t even there at all. I don’t remember seeing the pulse gun, or pushing Caban, or falling.
“I got hit with a pulse?” I said, realizing why my body ached, every last muscle and bone.
“They’re deadly.” the doctor replied, “You were bleeding out from the inside. You can repair it if you know how, if you do it soon enough, but there are so many veins and…you got lucky.”
“I don’t believe in luck, Doctor.”
He grinned, his face even sharper for it. “The Captain said you don’t.”
“He’s right.”
“Maybe you should start.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home