Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Thursday, October 5, 77 S.A.

seven

Knocking over a hospital is a complex matter of memorizing blueprints, cutting wires, overriding security systems, disguise, and staying calm. It is important to try to forget that you are stealing from sick people, and pretend that everything will be replaced within several weeks. Maybe it's a crooked institution and they'll end up buying back their own goods.
Mezaro proved invaluable, telling us which doors would be easiest to jam, which equipment and supplies would be easiest to sell. I plotted my own course and was able to slip away for seven minutes without notice.

A stairwell lead to a lower passage with a heavy, secure door. Using Em's planter I popped it and let myself into the massive dark room. Full of tall shelves, millions of tiny containers stored in thousands of pull-out shelves behind coded doors. With the coordinates it took me three minutes to locate the correct bank. The deposit box hissed open to reveal an information disc and four identical vials. I scanned the disc and slipped three vials into a plasti-pouch, something I lifted from Mezaro. There was no time to open other drawers, to throw them off the trail. It doesn't matter. There is no trail to follow.

It has been some while since I worked with a crack team and pulled a clean job. We got in, we got out. Time seemed to slow as we moved our goods to the side loading dock, but nothing was wrong. The crew spoke and moved efficiently, did their business, earned their coin. I spent all mine for access to that room, for seven minutes of time.
No one noticed that I was somewhere else, that everything wasn't as solid as they should have been. All I could feel was the miniscule weight in my pocket. He was with me. The future is suddenly viable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home