Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Sunday, August 14, 77 S.A.

lotus-eaters

Plotted in the fastest route to Verisan that I can, but I'll be surprised if the Roller can jump it. So far its been fine, but tonight's jumps will be rough. Its a good little ship, better now that we've been working on it. Caban says that Oberon has a shuttle bay that just might fit it, if we can thin it down a bit. I for one have been grateful for the width of its hull ever since Miklund.

I haven't been to Verisan in years. Its a gorgeous planet, all light and air. The gravity there is less than what we're used to, making it a popular spot for vacations, wealthy retirees, and spas. And, of course, chemmies.
I'm not sure if this Ice is a chemmie, or if we are in reality headed to Verisan's dockheap moon, where the less scenic business of the planet is handled. It is a nice spot for Runners.

Verisan is covered in spreading fields of poppy flowers, too fragile to grow 'ponically. There are not enough fields back on the homeworld to make the business profitable. Whoever first sold the idea to the Frightie landscapers must be a wealthy genius by now.
Its really amazing what sort of chemicals we can produce now, drugs that can make you see and feel any manner of things, things dredged up and distilled in factories or terraforming refuse across the galaxy. Chemicals that will burn up your innards while you're still too blasted-off to realize whats happening. I've seen the rotted out remains of chemmies in every space-port from Rookston to Target City. Some people prefer the warmth of a 'space dust' haze to reality. Some people can't handle the cold.
But the opiates on Verisan are gentle in comparison, the pleasure-domes are plentiful and clean. The faint floating feeling of a low-grav planet only adds to the experience.
I am not a chemmie. I don't Run drugs, there are enough people spreading that particular pain. Verisan poppy gives me ideas of the future that I don't need to see, and it takes some convincing to remember that they aren't real.

Humans love trouble. We love to push ahead and see which limits can be bent, which can be broken. The problem is, we're all of us slow learners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home