Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Monday, December 12, 77 S.A.

Welcome

Everything is different once again, we're moving forward and backward at the same time. Ice came crashing back into out lives with considerably more drama than she left it. We answered the call to hear her voice, tinged with panic as she barreled toward us, chased by the agents of our last contact. Who knew he would have such a vengeful tenacity?

Caban barely hesitated. Just barely, but he did. He snapped back to Ice that she couldn't come in, but simeltaneously ordered Con to ready the shuttle bay. The cold fury in her voice did not change his mind, it was already made up. In that moment he was powerful and decisive, not the eager and easy captain we have known.

Roller is barely a centimeter within the right size to fit in the secondary cargo bay, the one down by the engine, but it takes careful manuevering to get it inside. We didn't have time for that: no sooner did the hatch open than she arrived with a rending metallic shriek and a sickening crash. Lights flashed all over the sceens, and there was no time for a jump before I knew something was wrong. I was floating in my chair, the sudden loss of gravity shuddering my stomach and bubbling my blood. I managed to strap myself in before the secondary grav went online and we were able to fly free of Ice's (ours, I suppose) assailants. Once were were free, Caban and I went down to the docking bay. Ice was waiting there, glaring at Kon with clear venom. She seemed somehow smaller, diminished.
"Well. You're here, then." said Caban.
"Thank you for the kind response" she shot back. Her eyes flicked to me, and I nodded, remaining neutral.
"You stole my ship" he stated, not accusing, simply sharing.
"I ran into some trouble"
"And brought it back to us. No reason to welcome you"
Ice did not respond, and they stared at each other a moment.
"Well." he said, finally, "I suppose there is. You're crew."

The air of the room seemed to relax, perhaps she hadn't known he would allow her back after all. I could see it in his eyes the entire time: forgiveness.

I've been with a fair number of crews these past years. Some of them hired me on and off for a job, some got broken or shot up. There are some, though, that I just left. Slipped away or abandoned. I've always figured that there was no returning once I'd gone. I don't plan on leaving Caban, but he'd take me back. Maybe there is redemption, the chance for an open door with a welcome waiting inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home