Scout's Log

My account of life in space. The year is 77 Space Age, which is, in more ancient terms, 2327 CE. I am space debris. And of all the ships in the galaxy, I had to hop aboard the pirate ship. Such is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: onboard 'Oberon', deep space

I push ahead, always navigating, always scouting somewhere. I have this tendency to outlive my friends, and much of what I have known is now gone. It is my goal in life to know everything. I figure the best way to do so is to travel the universe, picking up information as I go. This is the path I've chosen.

Saturday, December 2, 77 S.A.

passing

My fingers pick out the words on this Log almost in spite of myself. Alone, in the darkness, waiting to make a scheduled Jump that no one will see. Everyone else is asleep. As I walk through the ship I hear Em's sleepy sighs as she shifts and scratches at herself. The marks of her Chemming days will never leave her. Mezaro's room is quiet, as I walk through the other wing I hear Kon snoring. Downstairs is the typical silence from Ice's quarters, and I don't know why I expected something different from Caban's room. It is hard to imagine that man limp in sleep, though I have seen it before. All of us lie still, unaware, and in the day we pretend we don't. Even Jamieson, the most legendary Runner of our Age, drooled a little here and again.

This next jump will take us somewhere new, it doesn't matter where. Everyone will slumber through the short transition through space and arise in a different location, as dark and empty as what we left behind. I am the only one awake to see it pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home